Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Heat

It has been a very long time since I last posted. Not a great deal has changed with the rabbits. They are all happy and healthy (considering the heat) and I'm doing the best I can to bring them through the current heat wave.

I have bred them to be hardy with the heat, and have been giving them ice bottles several times a day and frosty water bottles to drink from. The fans are running 24 hours a day. Some are really smart, drinking the cold water and laying on the ice bottles, but sometimes they just won't co-operate.

My oldest herd sire was one of the those. I was outside working when I heard a rabbit cry out. It is rarely a good thing when they vocalize. He was in distress so I carried him inside and put him in the refrigerator to try and cool him down without sending him into shock. Unfortunately, he passed away.

Everyone I know with livestock is experiencing similar losses. Temperatures have been above 100 for a month and are expected to continue. Yesterday 110 and it will be 110 today. And to top it off, it is still and quiet; not a breath of air at times.

It is so hot that a squirrel was lying on the soaker hose that I have in my yard. I really wish I had been able to get a picture.

1 comment:

Lael said...

I have thought of you often, as I hear of your high temperatures and lack of rain. It has been hot here, too, this summer - humid, but not a lot of rain. I lost two lambs during an exceptionally hot spell. They do much better in our cold, snowy winters. As do I - I would rather have the snow than this heat and humidity!