Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The month of June was just one word - hot. I installed additional fans. I found 2 that had a thermostat built in that would turn them on and off based on temperature. It is a great feature. Temperatures even at night now are too high for the comfort of the rabbits until well after midnight. I really don't want to be out turning them off at that time, but with this built-in feature it does it for me saving energy.

I have only had time to cull half of what I need to. I am hopeful to get to the rest of them by the end of the week.

I decided to carry an organic acid dye line, Greener Shades, a non-metallic acid dye. I wanted to find something that didn't have the lead and chrome in them. And will be phasing these new dyes into my batts.

Out in the garden I had a real surprise this morning. I have a row of sunflowers growing along a common fence with a neighbor. They had bloomed and I was letting them set seed and dry on their stems. As of this morning, all my flower heads are gone! I was so upset, mad, and disappointed.

My first assumption was an animal got to them. As I examined the area I realized that nothing was left of the heads, the stems were snapped too cleanly, everyone of them that could be reached over the top or through the fence was gone. I had one left only because it had bent over back toward our property. This was a human culprit.

I have spent all spring and into the summer working with them to produce a nice crop of seed. And I know it wasn't that many flowers, but to have all my work be distroyed because the kids next door haven't been taught to respect the property of others is frustrating.

In the spring I caught one of them throwing sticks at our trailer. The boy had the gall to lie when I caught him in the act. That is how brazen they are. Did he hurt the trailer. No. But to try and destroy the property of others and then lie when caught in the act is a good indication of what he is being raised to be.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Well I think mother nature gave me a big compliment today. I got in a large order of Wensleydale top from Ashland Bay this past week. So in-between spinning pet hair I have been dying.

One color I had drying out on the railing was a really bright happy yellow. Apparently a whole group of flower beetles thought it was something that had pollen and therefore required their personal attention.

I picked up a couple and checked to make sure they weren't trying to eat the wool. They didn't seem to be hurting it, just getting tangled up. And the more I looked the more I found. I removed 7 of the little beasties to a better home.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

I was interviewed as part of a writeup for a news article written by Katy Hall, for the New York Times News Service. This is from a Canadian paper.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Well I have been extremely busy with the company and the rabbits, plus the show I just finished.

The DFW Fiberfest was a great success for me. I debut my new batts of Wensleydale and Tencel. The were really well received. My silk batts are always a favorite. I saw so many who were also at the Kid n Ewe. So I got to catch up with alot of my customers. I had a blast talking to everyone and I had a few bring me their pet hair to spin a sample.

Ann brought me her pet's hair from Warren to the show last year to spin. This year she brought him back knit up into a fabulous scarf. I so rarely get to see the end result so this was very exciting for me.

Spinning pet hair is keeping me busy as well. I am enjoying the time I spend with each client. Some of the notes I get from the owners are so overwhelming in the love they feel for their pet. Each pet is or was a vital part of their lives and I am glad I can keep that feeling going for them. Especially when their pet is gone from their lives.

The rabbits are doing nicely. I have cut back my breeding schedule this year since the kits eat me out of house and home. Feed and hay prices are really high. I may do one more breeding, but I am not sure yet. Most likely not.

I have done some spring maintenance on the rabbits, moving hay and manure out into the garden. I found I need to replace some of the bottoms under the cages for the droppings.